Monday, July 29, 2013

Military Monday: Meet...Me.

Welcome!

...to my new Monday blog series! I've had super responses from military spouses and family members all over the world. Over the next few months...as I count down to the BIG RELEASE of my upcoming novel, DEPENDENT, I hope to introduce you to the faces behind (and in front) of the uniform. The lesser known, but no less important support system that helps our soldiers, airmen, sailors, marines and coasties do the job they need to do.

I would love to hear your story, tell the world about your product, or champion your charity...so if you support a uniform in any way, leave a note in the comments, contact me via my Facebook page, or email me at overdunnemail@yahoo.ca and I'll do my best to make your Military Monday happen.

Meet...Me!

To kick the series off, you get to hear about me. Yup, me. What brought me to write about a military spouse? Why am I qualified to share her story?
Me, eighteen years old, somewhere in British Columbia


It's hard to believe, but I've been associated with the military for almost twenty-five years. I joined (yes JOINED) the military when I was eighteen as a part of the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) and went off to basic training to march around and carry a rifle. The military paid for part of my university degree...and then gave me a physiotherapy job for almost five years afterward. I met lots of military folks, and their spouses, and then one day met a very special pilot who eventually became my husband.

When we married, I took my release from the Canadian Armed Forces, and we moved together on our first posting. We've now been married for 16 years, lived in nine (yes, 9) different homes in three different countries and I've held seven different physiotherapy jobs and one barista job since that time. My husband has been deployed several times-- once to the Middle East. Last year he lived four hours away from us while he was on course for eleven months. The word on the street is that the Dunne family will be packing up house in the spring of 2014 and moving somewhere else. Where? Your guess is as good as mine!

My amazing family
I could bore you with tales of woe, but for the most part it has been a great ride. I think part of the reason why is the strength of our family, and the commitment we have to sucking everything we can out of each posting. We go on day trips. We get involved. We sign up for perks. We live on the farm we wanted and deal with long commutes because that's what it takes. We turn posting trips into adventures, not horror stories. We have fun.

Over the next few months I hope to share some of my happy moments and my horror stories (believe me, there are both) and also to share the experiences of others like me, and yet not like me. I hope you'll join in, and share your similar stories.

Thank you for stopping by! If you'd like, say hello in the comments below so I can meet you too.

See you next week as we meet another military spouse with a different story...

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted after moderation.

Brenda